The University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth was granted full accreditation of its laboratory animal facility in February 1985. The materials in the Animal Research Records collection were collected and transferred by staff and faculty of the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine to the institutional archives. Included in the collection are policies, descriptions, meeting minutes and other documents related to animal research at the Health Science Center.
The finding aids for the University Archives collections are detailed guides compiled specifically to describe the arrangement and contents of a collection and to aid in its research potential.
A list of highlighted collections is provided below. All University Archives finding aids can be accessed in the Gibson D. Lewis Health Science Library institutional repository, the UNTHSC Scholar.
C. Ray Stokes was the first employee of the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine in 1969. He served as founding director of development, business manager, purchasing agent, public relations director and as registrar. The C. Ray Stokes Collection includes agreements, reports, newsletters, meetings minutes, and a scrapbook related to Mr. Stokes’ employment with the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine.
Henry B. Hardt, PhD served as the first Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine Dean and chief administrative officer from 1969 until his retirement in 1974. The Henry B. Hardt, PhD Collection contains documents related to Hardt’s career as Dean of TCOM including correspondence, reports, speeches, and publications.
The James B. Reeves, PhD, Collection consists of papers collected by Dr. Reeves while he was the Director of Curriculum and Academic Development in 1975 and his term as Assistant Dean in 1976 of the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine.
Phil Rogers Russell, DO, practiced osteopathic medicine in the state of Texas from his 1917 graduation from the American School of Osteopathy, Kirksville, Missouri, until his death at the age of 80 in 1975. He was a strong supporter of the profession and was instrumental in the establishment and growth of the Fort Worth Osteopathic Hospital and the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine. The Phil R. Russell, DO Collection consists of speeches, articles, book manuscripts, books, memorabilia, photographs, certificates and awards.
Dr. Richard N. MacBain, working with Dr. Floyd Peckham, pushed through a state law that passed in 1955 giving full medical license privileges to osteopathic physicians. Dr. MacBain realized that osteopathic physicians would never get full rights without a strong background in the basic sciences and spent part of his career building the basic sciences program at the Chicago College of Osteopathy. The MacBain Collection contains certificates, awards and personal items that Dr. MacBain acquired during his lifetime.
Rollin E. Becker, D.O. was an associate professor in the Department of Osteopathic Philosophy, Principles and Practices at the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine. Dr. Becker was member of the American Osteopathic Association, the Texas Association of Osteopathic Physicians & Surgeons, Academy of Applied Osteopathy, and the Texas Academy of Applied Osteopathy and Cranial Academy. Additionally, he was president of the Sutherland Cranial Teaching Foundation (1962-1979) and the Osteopathic Cranial Association (1950-51). The Rollin E. Becker, D.O. Collection consists of papers, manuscripts, letters, photographs, audio recordings and memorabilia.
The Alumni Association of the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine was established in May, 1974 when the officers and committee members of the class of 1974 met before graduation to write the association’s constitution and by-laws. Today the organization serves all UNT Health Science Center graduates, retired faculty and retired staff. The collection includes association directories, newsletters, correspondence, programs, and memorabilia.
The Texas Osteopathic Medicine Association collection documents the history of the osteopathic profession in Texas from 1930 as the Texas Association of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons and as the Texas Osteopathic Medical Association from September 14, 1970 until 2003.
Virginia P. Ellis, D.O. was a 1936 graduate of the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine and was a practicing pediatrician in Fort Worth for a number of years before joining the faculty at the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine in 1972 where she taught the history of medicine. The Virginia Ellis, D.O. Collection consists of papers, memorabilia, and committee reports.